Sunday 21 February 2010

Blea Moor and the Ribblehead Viaduct











On Sunday 14th February we left Keighley and journeyed further onto the Yorkshire Dales via Skipton.

The Leeds- Settle-Carlise line runs through some countryside that is so beautiful, wild and somewhat difficult terrain.
As the line passes through Settle, it shortly finds itself on Blea Moor with a steady climb over this desolate countryside, over the Ribblehead Viaduct and on through the Blea Moor tunnel.
As Private Fraser (Dad's Army) would say, 'A wild and lonely place'.
We walked from the car park up to the viaduct then on pass the Blea Moor signal box (England's highest) and up to the Blea Moor Tunnel, a journey of about 4 miles in total, but for a man of my age and weight, not easy, but it was achieved. Perhaps I should do this more often, I thought my fell walking days were long since over!
A truly fantastic place and I would return again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment