Sunday 16 August 2009

78019


In between steam rallies and other events, I would just like to draw your attention to my love and devotion to steam preservation railways, as previously mentioned.
This locomotive is a British Railways Standard Class 2 2-6-0 built at the Darlington works in 1954. The locomotive worked largely out of Euston before being offered up as scrap at Barry in South Wales.
The Severn Valley Railway recovered the locomotive and in 1998 offered it to the Great Central Railway for full restoration at the Loughborough works. The photograph shows her leaving Loughborough towards Leicester.
During Christmas 2007, Chris Beale and me visited the GCR and we both had the privilege of driving this locomotive (under supervision). Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that one day I would not only go on the footplate but eventually drive the engine complete with 8 coaches hanging off the tender, or smoke box door depending on which way we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment