Wednesday 15 July 2009

Briar days


Now in the 1980's I became closely affiliated to a local Birmingham based rock band by the name of 'Briar'. Managed by George Bond, the four piece outfit of Dean Cook (drums); Dave Fletcher (guitar and backing vocals); Kevin Griffiths (main vocals); and Darren Underwood (guitar and backing vocals) were to be seen and heard in a number of Birmingham venues. However, every Sunday night at The Railway in Curzon Street, Birmingham the boys performed to a packed house.
George worked tirelessly to promote these boys and a measure of success was achieved, but sadly the final push to the big time never really materialised. However a lot was learned, and a number of important contacts where made.
I took several photographs of the band over the years and the one published here was taken at The Railway, date unknown.
We had some very good times and have load of memories and photos to go with it. I think one of the most memorable is the time we had a gig in Wigan or Warrington, cant quite remember, so the journey was planned and the equipment was to go in one vehicle and the band in the other. Now in those days George employed the services of a lighting engineer by the name of Maz (he with the wife with a pink coat). Now Maz was still learning to drive and was determined to take the convoy up to the north with me as the qualified driver. After several kangaroo starts and snail like progress out of Birmingham, Maz decided that it was not a good idea and would I like to drive. The occupants of the vehicle behind (the band) on realising that we were swapping over and going to use the M6 burst into hysterical applause and laughter realising that at last they would gig that night.
From the Briar days, I too decided to attempt management with a four piece band called 'Shotgun Wedding', but that's a story for another time.
George, Dean and me keep in touch still, and I always make it a special journey to visit them at Christmas. I usually bear gifts including whiskey to George, but I never see him open it in front of me! You can catch up with all the Briar stuff and other on www.shotguncharlie.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment